Gentle Reads 2008
|Author||A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|Series||# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|Booklists||A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Gentle Reads 2008
List created by -Maria Levetzow
- Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
- For a Christian, wearing a cross all the time isn't a big deal. For a Muslim in the post 9/11 world, making a point of your religion is, at best, problematic. But Amal has decided that it's time to wear a veil, a hijab, full-time, regardless of what the snooty people at her exclusive private school think about it.
- Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham
- Jane thought it was just another day at the beach with her mom and brother. Until she went swimming, and her whole life changed in an instant. Now she has the rest of the summer to mourn her lost career as an artist and to dread the first day of school where everyone will be pointing at her and whispering, "There's the shark girl."
- Dragon's Keep by Janet Lee Carey
- The prophecy foretells the birth of a princess that will bring peace to her land and restore the throne to her banished royal family. Rosalind is the princess that Merlin foretold, but her flaw, being born with a dragon claw, will stop anyone from accepting her as anything other than a witch.
- Revolution Is Not A Dinner Party by Ying Chang Compestine
- Ling lives with her physician father and mother, right outside the hospital where they both work. She doesn't really understand Mao's Cultural Revolution, but goes along with much of it, until her father is taken and other loved ones disappear.
- The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer
- Jack has to save Lucy, once again, after she's this time taken by the Lady of the Lake. But does Lucy want to be rescued?
- The Falconer's Knot by Mary Hoffman
- Silvano has a good life - until he's accused of a murder that he didn't commit. Until his name can be cleared, he goes into hiding in a monastery. Chiara's family has no money, which means no dowry to use to arrange a marriage. So she goes into a convent. Instead of being mired in a boring life, they get involved in solving a series of murders that take place at the formerly peaceful monastery.
- Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes
- Meet five outcasts in Opoquonsett High School 's freshman class: Wen, Stella, Charlie, Olivia, and Mo. Discover how these cultural players become the phenomenal band, Lemonade Mouth.
- Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks
- Cadel Piggott is a genius. And it's gotten him into trouble, since he uses his genius to hack into computer systems and so forth. So now he's off to see a counselor, Dr. Roth. Dr. Roth not only understands him, he trusts Cadel with computers. In fact, he does everything he can to nurture Cadel's evil genius.
- Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
- Five sisters go through the secret passage every month at the full moon to dance with the residents of the Other Kingdom. Jenna knows that her sisters will be safe so long as she is with them, although she doesn't know why. But even she questions this when the feared Night People come to the dance.
- Un Lun Dun by China Mieville
- Zanna and Deeba have seen some strange things; a fox watching intently Zanna, a cloud that looked just like her. But nothing prepares them for their entrance into a secret place under their city, where Zanna is hailed as the hero who will save Un Lun Dun.
- Johnny and the Bomb by Terry Pratchett
- Johnny ends up an accidental time traveler, and he may or may not be in a position to warn him home town of a Nazi air raid. But if the damage of the air raid is averted, will Johnny and his friends still exist in the future?
- Peak by Roland Smith
- Peak is arrested after climbing a skyscraper. Since everyone wants the whole situation to go away, that's what they arrange. Peak's father, a famous mountain climber, takes him to Tibet to be the youngest climber to reach the peak of Mt. Everest.
- Blackbringer by Laini Taylor
- Magpie Windwitch, granddaughter of the West Wind, travels the globe seeking out faerie knowledge that would be lost without her, and trapping demons whom humans have been too stupid to leave in their bottles. Then she gets on the trail of a demon that is powerful enough to destroy one of the Djinn who created the world. Magpie doesn't know if she's powerful enough to capture this demon - but she does know that if she doesn't, no one else will.
- The Swan Maiden by Heather Tomlinson
- Doucette is being trained to run a family household. She is most adamantly NOT supposed to be a swan maiden like her sisters. She does not have a swan skin that allows her to turn into a swan and fly, and she cannot study magic at her aunt's magnificent home every summer. Until the day that she finds her swan skin, hidden under her parents' bed. Her dreams of being a swan maiden have come true, but she knows she'll never trust her parents again.